Can’t you just hear the OOOH OOOH!!!! The international hypeness signifyer screaming “It’s Saturday fool, what u gettin into?” Tell em Luda……
Filed under: Cool ppl, Jamz | Tags: coolness, i heart, lionhearted, music videos, teedra moses
Lionhearted. That’s the name of Teedra Moses’s new mixtape and it’s a fitting description. She is truly a beast, with immense vocal talent, stunning looks and a musical style that is both beautiful and viscious. She can broken-heartedly plead for a man to take her back to the day when he stole her heart and in the next breath command that he gets that bitch he got on the side told, and she better never, never ever hear bout it again. Yes, yes Ms. Moses is my girl.
I first came into contact with her music by falling in love with “Be Your Girl”, from there, through the magnificence of limewire, I stumbled onto the jewel “You Better Tell Her”. Me and the roomates played that one out and I’ve been sold ever since. Ms. Moses is a threat, not just because she’s one of my favorite vocalists, but because girl got talent and lyrics for days. I believe she transmutes the feminine experience to music in a way that no one has since Mary hipped us to her life and Lauryn gave us a little re-education, she does not have to toot that thang up to get her point across. I’m waiting for the day when she has these lackluster females populating the industry running back to the lab to get they weight up. Go head girl………..
Wonderful interview by the homie over at forthelatestonline.com
rocks the stage like a true diva…
this is on my myspace right now….
Filed under: Cool ppl | Tags: coolness, Ghostface Killah, ghostface music, music videos
She’s the kind of person everybody knows, she reeks distinction from head to toe…..that’s me baby, I swear this is my theme song when I’m cruisin 4 qt’s
Jaames Brooown, Jaames Brooown……..this junk is timelessly hype
I’m an east coast girl through and through. I was born here, raised here, and up until this point, all my travel has been restricted to the states bordering our shore. This year though, I told myself I was going to dedicate the next few years of life to seeing all the places I’ve ever wanted to see. In comes California.
I’ve been wanting to get out there for a hot little minute now. I had my mind made up it would be the perfect vacation spot to spend my upcoming birthday. Due to lack of funds a friend of mine was working on getting a discounted ticket for me from a connect at Southwest, but it turned out to be much easier said than done. So here comes my birthday, which is steadily approaching in June, and my bank account has yet to be on swole. Serving tables puts a little something something in my pocket, but not enough to comfortably purchase a round trip ticket across the nation and pay bills. So I was just about ready to give up on my California dreaming when I got a little piece of divine intervention.
I’ve got an Aunt who will be traveling to the lovely city of Sacremento for two weeks, including the week of my birthday, and needs someone to travel with her. Her intended travel companion had an egagegement to attend and couldn’t make it so guess who was asked to fill in….you shouldn’t have to guess that hard. I once had a friend who always used to say God works in myserious ways. Truly. Ha, I am not ashamed at all to say I’m trippin like a kid going to the mall to sit in Santa’s lap for the first time. California is a foreign country to me. Everybody I’ve ever met who is from there makes it seem like it’s the place to be. I’ve been told I’ll love it, I’ll never want to leave it. We’ll see about that. There’s a lot Cali has to offer but I’ve managed to pin down five things that put it at the top of my list….
5. California knows how to party. Thats what Roger Troutman said, and summer of 95′ that’s all a young girl heard.
4. Marijuana is legal. They know what’s up. A little bit of greenery never hurt anybody and it has medicinal properties that counteract everything from depression to post traumatic stress disorder. I’ve heard time and time again that Cali has the best bud hands down, hmmmm……
3. This commercial
wine and food….i love wine and food
2. The beautiful people. It seems like California is just one big pot of beautiful black, brown, red, yellow, white and everything in between. Maybe it’s the climate but it seems like 2 out of 3 people from the Sunshine state are always beautiful and the odd one out is just real interesting to look at
1. Cultural healing. California is arguably one of the most ethnically diverse areas in the united states. Though racism existed nation-wide, California was the first place in America to become synonomous with diversity, the first true ‘melting pot’. Many African- americans who found life in the harsh racial climate of the north and south too much to bear found some type of peace here . California was home to not only large numbers of african- americans but, native americans, carribeans, south americans, east asians, central asians and european idividuals as well. It’s a place with an eclectic culture and unique stories ; from the gold rush, to the Black Panther party, to the LA and Watts riots, to Castro Street, to Leimert Park to Hollywood to South Central. Its a state with plenty personality and I’ve always had this romantic notion of it being a modern-day carbon copy of it’s wild wild west beginnings. Tupac said it best …”only in cali where we riot not rally to live and die…”
Everytime I think of riding down some palm tree lined street with the wind in my hair and the sun on my back this song always comes to mind
Filed under: Dopeness, Uncategorized | Tags: aaliyah, coolness, i heart, music videos
My latest post got me inspired. I’m a junkie for visual art and music videos are just the shit to me. I think my obsession with them comes from childhood. My favorite Disney movie of all time is Fantasia. For those of you who don’t know what that is, it’s a surrealist piece of work in which several animated shorts provide visualizations for classical compositions from greats like Bach and Tchaikovsky. That is the only movie that ever mesmerized me as a child, I even had the video game on Sega Genesis. Yup way old school.
What I love most about music videos is they are visual interpretations of mood and emotions. Where films are mostly character driven, the video is all about the ambience. It is the visual interpretation of lyrics and harmonies, of grooves and feelings. Creativity is allowed to roam completely free, it’s like visual poetry. This young lady right here, to me, was the definition of an artist. Her style was so sick, so unique that almost 8 years after her death her music and videos still puts the majority of these rnb chicks to shame. Her legacy leaves us with some of the most bangin, ethereal, hypnotic grooves ever created and some tight ass videos too. She was an aesthetically brilliant pioneer and a musical ingenue, enjoy………
5. One of my favorite songs, she looks gorgeous
4. Str8 G
3. Round the way girl fantasticness
1. Taking sex appeal to another level, abstract lovliness
There are several dope directors out there, but Hype has a special place in my heart. 70% of the reason Belly is one of my favorite movies is beacause of the imagery. His style, vision, and creativity is bananas, and he has graced up with some of the most visually stunning videos of all time.
Like most 80’s babies, I love me some music videos. There are some that you can watch a couple times before the novelty wears off, then there are some that stand the test of time. Hype’s videos are always a treat for my eyes. I have a secret wish to direct myself one day and he is one of the main people who inspired my desire to be a visual alchemist. I salute you Hype, and without further ado……………..
10. 1 of the sexiest vids of all time. Easily coulda been a good flick
9. Like one fonky ass acid trip
8. str8 coolness i don’t know what else to say, RIP LEFT EYE
7. This joint is just fun to watch, kaleidoscopic
6. Classically hood, innovatively sexy
5. A conceptual masterpiece[
4. A new school twist on a classic film. Flawless
3. Big ups American Pop, another homage to a dope film
2. Strange lookin women never looked so good. Genius
1. Originally the number one spot on this countdown was going to “Sock It To Me” by Missy. That video is such random genius,they don’t make em like that no more. The only full length version of that song I couldn’t download though. Still this video was going to recieve an honorable mention after I went back and forth for about an hour deciding if it would be this or the Missy vid for the top spot. This is breathtaking farewell from an equally breathtaking woman. Aaliyah was one of the best who ever did it. RIP
Update: found it